Of course, you can use PicDrop under your domain and with your logo etc. If you want, none of your clients will notice that you use our service for your work. You can find more information in your account settings. There you will find the following options:
PicDrop under your domain
With the web integration, you can run PicDrop under your own domain so that we remain invisible to your clients.
For example, www.picdrop.com/maxmustermann/gallery becomes www.maxmustermann.com/client/gallery.
Client login on your site
You can also display the login field for your client accounts (BETA) on your own website. For this, you need knowledge in the area of web programming or some support from your webmaster. This feature is also still in beta and details may change.
With our business plan it is possible to work together as a team in one PicDrop account.
The function you need for this is called team members.
You can find all the information about how our team members work here.
The vast majority of formats
Of course JPGs, TIFFs, PSDs and most RAW formats are displayed cleanly in PicDrop. An exact list of displayable formats that PicDrop can handle can be found here.
With RAW formats, unfortunately, each manufacturer makes his own type, so that the formats of some manufacturers can lead to color shifts and other effects. This is especially true for brand-new camera models, which we don’t always support immediately. However, we can display most formats without any problems. To make sure that PicDrop can also display your RAWs well, you can simply output them as DNGs in your RAW editing program like Lightroom. This has no influence on the quality of your RAWs.
Everything works perfectly fine in 99% of all cases. However, with very complex Photoshop files (.PSD), errors can occur when working with many layers and various layer modes, etc. For example, we recommend to deactivate the alpha channels so PicDrop is able to show a clean picture preview. Flat, simple PSDs without thousands of layers are no problem at all.
PicDrop is an online service that lets you as a photographer create flexible image galleries for your clients in a flash.
You don’t need more than an internet browser and your own PicDrop account. The installation of software on your computer or server is not necessary – but possible.
As a photographer, you store your image data at PicDrop, where it is stored absolutely securely and permanently. Your clients will then only need the address to the PicDrop galleries you have created to view, select, download, etc.
With PicDrop we would like to offer you a reliable service on which you can depend one hundred percent. We ourselves have seen, used and loved many tools that unfortunately had to stop working after a while because they only concentrated on popularity or great features. Not on how they can finance themselves and pay the next server bill. We do not speculate on one day being bought by an Internet giant for millions of euros. Instead, we want to offer you a great service that you like to pay for. This is the only way to ensure that PicDrop will remain with you for many years to come. Therefore, that’s why PicDrop costs money.
A PicDrop app is not necessary. Instead, you can use our mobile version and save it on your smartphone as an app icon (see instructions below). This way offers the same features as an app would, but saves us the effort of developing several apps for different smartphone operating systems in parallel. As a photographer, you don’t have to install the umpteenth app either.
Just put the link to your gallery overview or to a single gallery directly on your smartphone with a link. Then you can call PicDrop with a “click” and it feels like an app.
Is there an app for my clients?
Your clients can “store” their galleries on their phone in the same way. Just open your gallery and follow the instructions below for your Android or iOS device.
Instruction: PicDrop-Homescreen shortcut access under Android
Just follow these 4 steps:
- Open overview or gallery
- Open the menu at the top right and click on “Add to start screen”
- Enter a name for the icon and click on “Add”
- Position the icon on your home screen by holding it down or click on “Automatically add”
Instructions: PicDrop-Homescreen Shortcut access to iOS
Just follow these 4 steps:
- Open overview or gallery
- Click on the send icon at the bottom in the middle
- Select from the options the item “Add to Home Screen”
- If necessary, enter a name and click on “Add”
Yes, you can already use PicDrop with English speaking clients. Just send the link of your gallery to your clients as usual. If they use a non-German PC/browser, the gallery will be automatically displayed in English. You don’t have to do anything. If you want to be on the safe side, you can also set the language in your gallery settings and your clients will always see the galleries in English, no matter what language their computer or browser is on.
For you, as a photographer or owner of the PicDrop account, there is no English version yet. We’re working on it. If you want to be informed as soon as the English version for photographers is ready, please send us a message at email@example.com. Thanks!
You can currently change your logo (account wide), the cover image (per gallery), the text above the gallery (per gallery) as well as the size and type of thumbnails and of course the functions of a gallery. You can also format the description text of a gallery and include Youtube or Vimeo videos.
The features of your gallery also include (from the Pro plan upwards) the Presentation Mode, in which you can choose from a lot of design settings for your galleries (per gallery). For example, you can adjust the background color or the font according to the style of the gallery. Please find detailed information here.
Use the welcome text to show your clients how to set image flags and create image selections or to link to your custom instructions.
In each of your galleries, you can activate or deactivate all functions individually. You can tailor your galleries perfectly to every client and every project. You are able to do this in each gallery in the upper right corner under “Gallery Settings”.
- Layout: Here you define the appearance of your gallery and how your pictures should be arranged.
- Sort by: Here you select how your pictures are sorted by file name, color flag, capture time, upload time, file type, file size, and image dimensions are available as options.
- Welcome Message: Here you can welcome your clients to their PicDrop gallery or give them specific instructions along the way. The text will always be displayed above the pictures in the gallery.
- File information: Choose what your clients can see when clicking on a single image.
- You can also decide if your clients should be able to navigate to sub-galleries and vice versa.
- PicDrop is available in English and German, here you can define in which language your clients should see PicDrop. If you do not set anything, PicDrop automatically detects the browser language of your clients and then displays the gallery in German or in English.
PicDrop’s Edit Mode is for collaborating and communicating with your clients. Here you can decide what your clients can do.
- Downloads: Here you can specify whether your clients may or may not download your original images.
- Picture selections: With the picture selection function you can set specific photos in a gallery. With a click on the blue + at the upper left edge of the picture, the picture is added to a set of selections. After completing an image selection, it must be saved and named.
- Color markings: With the color markers you can very quickly and easily make decisions and assessments with your clients. In the picture overview at the upper right edge of the picture or in the single picture display under each picture, the color marking menu appears and each color can be selected with a single click. The colors red, yellow, green and FINAL are available.
(Pro-Tip: Sort the images in the “Appearance” area by color markers and downwards. This automatically sorts your images in the overview according to color and displays them separately, which makes it extremely easy to filter out favorites.)
- Comments: By activating the comments your clients have the possibility to write comments on each picture in the gallery. The comments will be displayed at the bottom left of the picture and can be created in the same place.
- Client upload: If you want your clients to upload images to the gallery as easily as you can, then activate the client upload.
- Print contact sheet: For further coordination, you can also activate the option for your clients to print a contact sheet.
The Presentation Mode is a specific way for you to deliver a gallery to your clients. It focuses on the beautiful presentation of your pictures and puts the practical PicDrop functions in the background. The Presentation Mode is available for you in some plans (starting with Pro). All features of the Presentation Mode are also available in detail in our FAQ.
- Starting the gallery in Presentation Mode: The essential setting for the Presentation Mode is its activation/deactivation.
- Since some of the familiar PicDrop functions are not active in the Presentation Mode, if you would still like to use these functions with your clients, you should activate the switch to Edit Mode. You can apply this change by entering a 4-6 digit PIN number.
- You can hide red marked images in the Presentation Mode from the gallery, so you can only present the best pictures.
- Below these three functions, you find are all the settings with which you can customize the appearance of the gallery in Presentation Mode: being background color, appearance of the header image, as well as size, spacing and edges of your thumbnails. All other gallery components such as buttons and social links conveniently adapt to your settings for the appearance of the gallery.
You can find more detailed information in our separate FAQ articles about gallery design, background color, title settings and thumbnail settings.
Here you are able to protect your pictures with a watermark and password. But above all, you can specify the address at which your gallery should be accessible.
- Gallery Links: There are several ways your gallery links can look. You can choose between plain & secure link, secure link only, and private. The secure link consists of your PicDrop account name and the gallery name, for example, www.picdrop.com/accountname/galleryname. The secure link is created from your account name and a randomly generated letter and number sequence such as www.picdrop.com/accountname/combinationnumbersandletters, If you set your gallery as private, it will only be visible to you as an account owner and to client logins.
- Password: Regardless of the shape of the gallery link, you can create or have an additional gallery password created for each gallery. We generally recommend this additional step to secure the gallery to all our users.
- Watermark: To protect your pictures, you can activate the PicDrop watermark function. For this purpose, enter one or more desired watermarks in your account settings, for example with your logo. These can then be selected in the gallery settings.
Please note: Activating and disabling watermarks for a gallery can take some time. Please be patient while the function is applied before making any other adjustments to the gallery settings. It is also important to know that we do not overwrite the watermarks on your original pictures since we will never change your files. Instead, we put the watermark over the thumbnails so they are protected from screenshots. Even though watermarks are enabled, the original files can be downloaded. Make sure to deselect download as a function in the gallery settings.
Don’t forget to save!
If you have set everything, you can save your settings by clicking on “Apply Changes“. To make sure that your clients gets exactly the settings you expect, select “Client View” in the top right corner to see how your clients will see the gallery!
Your clients do not need an account or log in.
Nevertheless, there are two different, easy ways to send galleries to your clients.
Send your clients the direct URL to your gallery – they don’t need to log in unless you have set a gallery password in the gallery settings. This is the fastest, most convenient and most used way.
You can send the address to them by e-mail, instant messenger, etc… Or conveniently via PicDrop by clicking on “Send” in your gallery.
Via client access
You can create clients accounts in your account settings. You can set a password and assign this password to one or more galleries to which your client will have access. Afterward, you point your client to your PicDrop URL (https://www.picdrop.com/your-username). There he/she will find a login field in which he/she only has to enter his/her password. After the successful login, your client will see an overview of all the galleries that have been activated for him/her.
It is important to understand that the client access code has nothing to do with the password of a single gallery. Without a client account, neither your client nor anyone else can see your gallery overview. This overview is reserved for you only. Therefore, it makes no sense to refer clients to your own PicDrop URL unless they have client access.